In our household, my young daughters and I actively look forward to Taco Night. We all seem to relish and thrive on the opportunity to participate in meal preparation, contrary to other evenings when Mom is in the kitchen creating the meal while the other family members are lounging elsewhere.
On Taco Night, the evening seems to unfold in a lighthearted, happy way. When it comes to preparing meals, my hubby and I engage in the traditional male/female roles, he can be found out on the deck, beer in-hand, barbequing the ‘kill’ (meat) in the long revered
hunter role. Meanwhile, my daughters and I can be found inside the home busy gathering – decorating the table with bowls filled with bright vibrant colors of the southwest rainbow - reds, oranges, greens and beiges.
The taco recipe that we enjoy is a mix of our favorite ingredients that blend seamlessly together. The key to the success of this meal is the mix of camaraderie, engagement, great atmosphere and of course, the food. Feel free to choose the ingredients that you love and create your own taco extravaganza!
This is our recipe for success:
- Vine ripened chopped tomatoes
- Fresh greens of the spinach, spring mix or arugula variety
- Shredded cheese of your choice, old cheddar is a staple in our home
- Caramelized onions, which my hubby and I enjoy
- Barbecued beef or chicken – sliced on the diagonal
- Sour cream & salsa
- Tortillas – while I’ve tried the whole wheat variety which is shown in the photo, I seem to
gravitate towards the white processed kind! Go figure . . .
By Contributing Editor Janet Glass